Friday, February 4, 2011

Gun, ratting dog or peppermint?

What is the most effective rodent control? I am so sick of rodents in my coops/rabbitry! I thought they were finally gone as I had not seen any signs of them for a few months...then this happens! Something (I am assuming a rat due to the droppings in the J feeder) attacked one of my french lop does....no attack is too gentle of a word...mutilated! She is now missing half of her ears! Fortunately, she is still eating and drinking so very hopeful she will make it.
Wishing I had a .22...I would sit down there in wait for the vile bastards to show thier faces and blow them away! I got a JRT on a trial basis hoping he would help patrol the coops, but he does not seem to have the drive to even play fetch and with my work schedule lately he is not getting enough exercise...so was planning on returning him next week. I am going to take him for walks down there though and give him a chance to see a rodent and respond. Last night Steven took him down, but no rodents were seen. I am hearing that the esstial oil of peppermint will repel rodents. I am going to do more research tonight and if I see alot of people saying it has worked for them, will try it.  Meanwhile, I am going to try setting a trash can trap plus go the feed store and picking up some one bite bait again. I hate to use it as I saw a stray cat grab a dying rat once in one of my chicken runs and the cat died...and I have a couple ferals hanging around here...but I can't have my rabbits being eaten alive!

No comments:

Post a Comment