Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Another remodel in progress

My oldest son has started work on the laundry room/ back entry. We are covering the walls with veneer and will stain it and add moldings to make it look like paneled walls. Trying to find some cabinets on CL to put up after that is complete.
Then we will start in on the kitchen, putting in a pantry and replacing the linoleum with ceramic tile and refinishing the cabinets with veneer and new solid wood doors. I already have the tile. This will be a huge job as some of the base floor has to be ripped out due to past water damage when my washing machine flooded the area.
Choosing paint colors for the main living areas now since I am able to get paint at a discount due to the discontinued paints we are taking off the shelves during the resets I have been doing. As Heather said the primer is now cured- after 9 yrs :)
Hoping to get all this done before spring is too far under way...as then we have to turn to outside projects and maintence.
 Our last remodel project we completed was my son's old room that we turned into a guest room.
This bedroom was trashed after my son moved out (I will not say which son to protect his dignity). He had attempted a redo before, but left the walls in poor condition, and painted over it anyhow with his choice of paint and ruined the carpeting I had gotten for the room. 


I had a freind from AUS coming to visit...but only had $250 to spend and little time. We stripped the walls where needed by hand and hand sanded the mounds he left, filling in where needed as well. Materials $10. I found wallpaper at a yard sale- talked them down to $5 for the box. That was my source for the rooms color and theme. Flooring was laminated tile that looked like wood parquet- Big Lots $60 total. Home Depot had a store going out of business- got the door for $25- used hardware from old door. Bed was free- my son's wife had hers still. Headboard , armoir (not seen in photos) and chair was from Freecycle. Table-already had. Curtain- shower curtain from goodwill that I sewed a seam on.  Bedding- down comforter, $25 on clearance, sheets $5 on clearance, toss pillows and pillow cover $3 Goodwill. Decorative items and lamp (shade found in someone's trash!)-$20 total at yard sales. Desk, $20 used. Rug- yard sale $10. I did have to special order another roll of wallpaper to finish which did not come in till after my freind arrived, that is why there is still a strip undone in the photo. That was $60. So total cost was $243.00...came in under what I had budgeted.




No comments:

Post a Comment