Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Spring is coming...soon.

Saw a robin so Spring is definately on its way. Last week was lovely! Got a head start on cleaning up some of the winter/late fall mess. Saturday Tom even went and got 2 truck loads of mulch...since I was already was pulling weeds out of the flower beds and laid that out.  Still need to get another truckload for the butterfly garden. I got the asparagus bed cleaned out and mulched. Going to have to find some strawberry plants this week to put in as last years plants resulted in only these tiny berries all summer. I think Tom bought the wrong ones or they were mispackaged. I picked up some new raspberry plants yesterday. We are going to move the patch, I think the current location is too wet for them as I only see a couple in the drier location came back this year.  Got a shipment of hertitage seeds in from Aunt Barb and we need to get some more seeds and start those very soon. Need to finish repairing the wire in the dividers in the coops so the breeds can be separated. Brandon got a start on it though. Chicks and ducklings are on the way- they shipped today.
Unfortunately, I lost my baby yesterday. Tom the royal Plam turkey who I raised from a poult and would follow me around and give me turkey hugs passed away.

 He will be greatly missed. Now I am on the search for a new boyfreind for the royal palm hens. If that fails, I guess I will be ordering more poults and we will have no royal palms available this season.  I still have the Bourbon Red trio, so will at least be able to breed them.
I am going to pick up a fan for my incubator and start hatching some eggs.  Think I will go ahead and hatch out some of the turkey eggs for starters as I don't mind if those are mixed, I can use them for meat.
The chicks we got from a freind are so freindly. They love to follow Tom (husband) around and sit on his shoulder while he does chores. Tom enjoys thier company and often brings them in with him when he needs to grab something from the house  instead of putting them down.
Tonight it is getting cold again.  Not looking forward to that, but at least I won't feel pressured to get things done outside this week.
Crystal is in season. This is her last shot at being a mom....she has failed to get pregnant each time I took her out to breed, so breeding her at home this time. If she doesn't take this time, she will have to be content with being a puppy sitter. I am hoping she takes...she is such a lovely girl with an awesome temperment.


 I have really liked what was produced by her brothers and expect even better from her. I will also breed either Dot (Harmony) or Autumn if they wait to come into season this year. I would rather not have 2 litters at once.

No comments:

Post a Comment