Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Lovely birds!

I went and picked up the Salmon Favorelle's today...after going 10 miles out of my way thanks to google maps taking me west instead of east! The birds are lovely and sweet...though were not very sweet after a trip in a crate for an hour in the rain. They were madder than a wet hen! Hopefully they will be in better spirits come morning. The people I picked them up from had a nice little set up with large individual pens for each breed of chicken they had (silkies, blue orphington's, RIR's and EE's) and a couple pens of Rouen and Pekin ducks. They also had pygmy goats- a few that are ready to kid soon and a new breed of pig I had never heard of...Guinea hogs. They are about the size of a pot belly pig but longer. They are very sweet. I am thinking they would make an ideal pig for the homestead due to thier size and temperament and the fact that they don't eat much grain. I looked them up when I got home and it appears they got to be about 200 lbs (though the people said up to 300) and dress out with 50% of weight of meat and fat. They are not cheap, but I suppose that you would make the money back within a couple litters with selling some of the babies....and the babies are just so darned cute!  I will post photos of the salmon favs on Sunday- my next day off. I have 30 more hours scheduled this week on top of the 20 I already have in.
I got a reply back from Porter's Turkeys. Forst email said they did not allow pick ups, but after a few emails, he did agree to let me order and pick up in the driveway. So I am now on the waiting list for blue palms and royal palms :)
I managed to get 2 dogs groomed today before I left to gett he birds, but I cannot find my nail clippers...again. Autumn REALLY needs her nails done. I was grooming and wishing the dogs would grow thier coats back (they dropped coats late), but then thought- no better they wait till the muddy spring is over.
My lettuce seeds have sprouted already! I am planting more spinach per Tom's request as he doesn't think that 6 is enough....he may be right- he LOVES spinach.
Tom was asking about Buster, if he would be ok with the kids that are due soon as he is getting rather boisterous with the other goats. I think it will be fine for a little while- they will be in the kidding stall for a couple weeks and after that, the momma's should protect them. Though we do need to get a pen put up for him and Loki before the girls come into season again.

No comments:

Post a Comment